Recipes for Griddle Cooking
It seems the “gift of the year” this Christmas was a brand-new griddle. The griddle is a great piece of cooking equipment to have, a flat cooking surface with a heat source underneath. Griddles especially, are ideal when cooking for a large group or your whole family because they have a large surface area. Griddles are often used for cooking burgers and other hot sandwiches, like a grilled cheese.
Enjoy these simple recipes for practicing on your griddle!
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Optional: Mixed fresh berries, whipped cream, maple syrup, and butter
- In a large bowl, whisk together the first 5 ingredients. In another bowl, whisk remaining ingredients, stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Preheat griddle over medium-high heat. Lightly grease griddle. Pour batter by ¼ cupful’s onto griddle, cook until bubbles on top to pop and bottoms are golden brown. Serve with toppings as desired.
Yields 12 pancakes, 3 pancakes contain; Calories 360, Fat 15 g., Cholesterol 126mg., Sodium 817mg., Carbohydrates 45g., Protein 10g.
“Alice’s Spring Chicken” Griddle Version
For the marinade
- ½ cup Dijon mustard
- ½ cup honey
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
For the chicken
- 4 boneless chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 slices ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 slices bacon
- 2 cups shredded Colby Jack cheese
- Optional; fresh parsley for garnish
- For the marinade; In a small bowl whisk together mustard, honey, mayonnaise, and lemon juice. Reserve ¼ cup sauce in a covered container and refrigerate until serving time.
- Meanwhile, place the chicken breast in a large plastic zipper-top bag. Pour in remaining sauce and turn in bag until evenly coasted. Refrigerate 30 minutes or overnight.
- To make the chicken; Turn griddle on low heat on one side and add bacon to cook. Remove onto paper towels until ready to use.
- On the other side using medium heat add 2 tablespoons butter to melt and toss mushroom slices in the butter. You may want to slide into some of the bacon fat for flavor. Remove from heat once cooked.
- Place chicken on medium heat and cook until golden brown, about 4-5 minutes.
- Divide the mushrooms evenly over the chicken. Top with bacon and cheese. Dome cover the chicken until cheese melts, about 4-5 minutes. Remove chicken, plate, and garnish.
Griddle Cabbage Steaks
- 1 large head of cabbage, cut into ½ inch rounds
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing
- Kosher salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- Chopped cooked bacon, for serving
- Crumbled blue cheese, for serving
- Fresh chopped green onions, for serving
- Ranch dressing, for serving
- Heat griddle over medium-high heat. Brush cabbage steaks on both sides with oil and season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Place on grill and cook until tender, about 5 minutes on each side.
- Top with bacon, blue cheese, and green onions, and drizzle with ranch dressing before serving.
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup Grana Padano cheese (if you cannot find this, just use an additional ½ cup Parmesan)
- Heat griddle to medium-low heat. Mix both cheeses together then add about a tablespoon of cheese in a round 2-3-inch circle on the griddle. Cook to 2-3 minutes or until the cheese starts on the bottom. Flip and cook another 2 minutes or until the cheese is evenly golden and crisp. Remove from the griddle and let cool.
- Serve once cooled or with assorted toppings, such as diced tomatoes, red onions, minced garlic, chopped basil, balsamic glaze, or multiple others.
Griddle Cooked Corn
(Adapted from an Eating Well recipe)
- 2 cups finely ground corn flour
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 4 (1/4 inch thick) slices fresh ginger
- 1 can chopped green chiles
- ½ cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 cup ¼ cups water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Combine cornflour, all-purpose flour, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Pulse ginger and chiles in a food processor until minced. Add to the flour mixture along with onion and cilantro.
- Drizzle warm water over the mixture, a few tablespoons at a time, stirring as you go, until the mixture starts to come together and form a ball. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Gently knead until a soft dough forms (it will be slightly bumpy from the vegetables).
- Divide the dough into 12 portions and shape into a ball. Keep the balls covered with plastic wrap or with a slightly damp paper towel.
- Turn on griddle to medium heat. Place a ball of dough between sheets of wax paper (leaving the others covered). Press it down to form a patty, then roll it out into a 1/8-inch-thick disc, 4-6 inches in diameter (the edges won’t be perfectly round and will appear jagged and cracked). Gently peel the dough off the paper and add it to the hot pan. Cook until the underside is light brown in spots, 1-2 minutes. Flip it over and cook for 1 to 2 minutes more. Brush the top with butter-oil mixture and flip it over to sear it, about 30 seconds. Repeat on the other side. Cover with foil to keep warm. Repeat until all dough has been used and serve warm.
Easy Philly Cheesesteaks on the Griddle
- 10 pack of thin sandwich steaks
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and diced
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and diced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- Worcestershire sauce
- Garlic powder to taste
- 1 onion, diced
- Hoagie rolls
- Sliced Provolone cheese
- Preheat your griddle to medium heat.
- Put a drizzle of olive oil down on the griddle, sauté your vegetables until tender, adding a spritz of Worcestershire for flavor.
- Once vegetables are cooked, slide over to a warm burner.
- Break up your steak pieces, and cook thoroughly in a drizzle of olive oil, add good amount of Worcestershire sauce, and garlic powder.
- While the meat cooks, heat a pad of butter. Slice open your hoagie rolls and place them upside down on the butter to toast.
- Add cooked vegetables to cooked meat and stir well.
- Divide the meat and veggie mixture between your rolls and top with two slices of cheese, add condiments as you like.