Happy New Year Holiday Appetizers!!
Bring in the New Year with your “bubble” of friends and family with some delicious and mostly healthy Holiday appetizers. Your guests will scoop up these tasty starters to give you energy to make to the ball drop!!
Kale and Asiago Brussels Sprouts Dip
- 4 cups brussels sprouts, chopped
- 2 cups kale chopped
- 1 8-ounce package cream cheese
- 1 cup asiago cheese, grated
- ½ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon hot chili flakes
- ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 8 slices bacon, cooked and chopped
- ½ large onion, finely chopped
For Serving, assorted cracker crisps, tortilla chips, assorted vegetables
- Bring a large pot of slightly salted water to a boil. Remove the ends of brussels sprouts and chop each thinly until you have about 4 cups worth. Chop kale finely. Boil brussels sprouts and kale for 2-3 minutes then drain.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon and dice onion.
- Microwave cream cheese in a large glass bowl for 1 minute. Add to a blender, along with 3 cups of cooked brussels sprouts and kale. Add asiago and parmesan cheeses, garlic powder, hot chili flakes, salt, and pepper. Blend for 20 seconds until blended.
- Add mixture to the large glass bowl used to microwave cream cheese in, then add the remaining brussels sprouts and kale and stir with a spatula. Add bacon and onion, and stir with a spatula, then microwave for 1-2 minutes until dip is hot.
- Serve immediately with crisps, chips, crackers, and or vegetables. Dip will last refrigerated for up to a week.
Serves 10, each serving contains; Calories 204, Carbohydrates 7g, Protein 12g, Fat 15g, Cholesterol 46mg, Sodium 583mg, Fiber 2g.
- 1 16-ounce container sour cream (to make this recipe vegan, use 13.5 can full-fat coconut milk, refrigerated)
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 3 green onions, green parts only, chopped
- ½ red bell pepper, chopped
- ¼ sweet onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons dill, chopped
- 2 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Place carrot, celery, green onions, bell pepper, onion, and garlic clove into food processor or blender.
- Mix until finely diced.
- Stir in dill, vinegar, salt, and pepper.
- Combine veggie mixture and sour cream. For the vegan version, scoop cream off of the top of the coconut milk into the veggie mixture and stir to combine.
- Place in refrigerator to set for up to two hours. Serve with veggie strips.
Roasted Red Pepper Phyllo Bites
- 30 mini phyllo shells, 2 boxes, defrosted
- ¾ cup plus 3 tablespoons (your choice, but I like Sambra)
- ½ cup diced English cucumber
- 1 roasted red pepper, two halves sliced
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- Fill each mini phyllo shell with 1 ½ teaspoon hummus.
- Divide the cucumber, roasted red pepper, feta cheese, and parsley evenly between the phyllo shells. Serve.
Serves 15, each serving contains; Calories 67, Carbohydrates 7g, Protein 3g, Fat 4g, Cholesterol 2mg, Sodium 102mg, Fiber 1g.
Make-Ahead Seafood Salad
For the salad
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced red pepper
- 2/3 lb. lump crabmeat
- ½ pound shrimp, cooked
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- ½ cup chopped Kalamata olives
For the dressing
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 tablespoon capers, chopped
- ¼ hot chili flakes
- In a large bowl, whisk olive oil with garlic, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, parsley, basil, sun-dried tomatoes, capers and hot chili flakes.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan at medium-high heat. Toss the red peppers and cook for 5-8 minutes until softened.
- Add the crab meat to the pan and continue cooking with the red peppers for 5-7 minutes. Remove from heat, pour into the prepared bowl. Add cooked shrimp, tomatoes and olives. Toss with dressing.
- Cover and cool in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
Greek Seven Layer Dip
- 8 ounces hummus
- 1 tomato, diced
- ½ cup cucumber, diced
- ½ cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1/8 teaspoon, salt
- ¼ teaspoon, paprika
- 2 canned artichoke hearts, chopped
- 2 roasted red peppers, 4 halves, diced
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons parsley, minced
- Optional, Kalamata olives, chopped for garnish
- In an 8 x 8 square serving dish, spread the hummus evenly on the bottom. Layer the tomatoes and cucumber over the top.
- Dollop the yogurt over the vegetables, then gently spread with a rubber spatula. Sprinkle the yogurt with salt and paprika.
- On top of the yogurt, layer the artichoke heart, roasted red pepper, and feta cheese. Sprinkle the parsley over the top and garnish with olives.
- Serve with fresh vegetables, pita chips, or crackers.
Yields 4 cups, each ½ cup serving contains: Calories 50, Carbohydrates 4g, Protein 3g, Fat 3g, Cholesterol 2mg, Sodium 128mg, Fiber 1g.
Bacon-Wrapped Cherry Tomatoes
- 1-pint cherry tomatoes (I like to get the assorted colors)
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- 5 slices bacon
- Preheat over to 375°F and line a medium baking sheet with parchment paper. In a medium bowl, toss tomatoes with oil, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Cut bacon into thirds, then cut each third in half lengthwise. Wrap each tomato in a piece of bacon and secure with a toothpick. Repeat until all tomatoes are wrapped.
- Bake until bacon is crisp, about 25 minutes. Remove toothpicks and serve.
Mini Grilled Cheese Appetizers
- 1 long baguette, thinly sliced
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 3-4 tablespoons butter
- Sliced sauteed mushrooms
- Sliced sundried tomatoes
- Fresh basil leaves
- Red chili flakes
- Fresh ground pepper and salt
- Sauté mushrooms in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Slice sun-dried tomatoes and prepare other toppings in the meantime.
- Slice the baguette relatively thin, then top with cheese, mushrooms, sundried tomatoes, arugula, and fresh basil. Sprinkle with a pinch of red chili flakes, black pepper, and salt to taste.
- Cook sandwiches in batches of 5 or 6 in a large frying pan on med-low heat, melting 1-2 tablespoons of butter at a time. Until cheese starts
- Cook for about 3-4 minutes on each side until cheese starts to melt and the outside of the sandwiches get crispy.
- Serve immediately with condiments of your choice.
(Adapted from The Girl on Bloor blog)