It’s Green Bean Season!
Green beans are in season and nothing is better than a big ol’ pot of southern seasoned green beans! But hey, don’t limit yourself to just a big “mess” of beans, try the abundant vegetable in some other healthy recipes this summer!! I think you will find the flavor comes out in lots of different tasty ways in these green bean recipes!!
Baked Parmesan Green Bean Fries
- 1 pound trimmed fresh green beans
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, coarsely grated
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- A couple pinches of coarse black pepper
- Kosher salt
- Blanch the beans. Rinse and then trim the stems off of a pound of green beans. Bring a pot of water to boil and season with a couple pinches of kosher salt. Drop in the pound of trimmed green beans for 3-4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare a large bowl with icy water. After the 3-4 minutes are up, remove the beans with tongs and plunge into the icy water. Remove and towel dry.
- For your breading stations; in one shallow dish whisk two egg whites. In a separate bowl stir together the Parmesan, Panko and black pepper.
- Working in batches; toss the green beans in the egg whites, drain off the excess and toss them in the Parmesan breadcrumb mixture. Place the breaded green beans on a parchment or Silpat lined sheet pan.
- Bake in a preheated 425° F oven for 15-20 minutes. Do not turn or toss, just watch closely so the green bean fries do not burn. Remove and sprinkle lightly with kosher salt
Lightened Up Green Bean Casserole
- 2-3 cups fresh green beans ounces
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsalted chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 3/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup whole-wheat panko
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Cooking spray
- Trim and blanch green beans; place in an 11 × 7-inch baking dish. Heat canola oil in a large skillet over medium-high.
- Add sliced fresh mushrooms and chopped onion; cook until browned, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add all-purpose flour; cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Add unsalted chicken stock, heavy cream, black pepper, and kosher salt; cook, stirring, until thick and smooth, 1 to 3 minutes.
- Spoon over haricots verts; sprinkle with whole-wheat panko and grated Parmesan cheese. Spray with cooking spray; broil until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes.
Serves 4. Each serving contains Calories 171, Fat 11g, Carbohydrates 16 g, Protein 6 g, Fiber 4 g, Sodium 254 mg.
Green Bean and Cherry Tomato Salad
- 4 cups green beans, trimmed
- 3 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon granulated garlic or garlic powder
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 6 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add green beans and cook until crisp-tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water. Drain thoroughly.
- Whisk yogurt, mayonnaise, vinegar, salt, pepper and garlic powder in a large bowl.
- Add the green beans, tomatoes, and cheddar to the bowl and toss to coat. Serve topped with basil.
Green Bean Pasta Salad
- 4 ounces penne (1¼ cups)
- 4 ounces green beans, halved crosswise (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup canned red or kidney beans, rinsed
- ¼ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan (2 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions, adding the green beans during the last 3 minutes of cooking. Drain and run under cold water to cool.
- Toss the cooled pasta and green beans with the red beans, parsley, Parmesan, olive oil, lemon juice, ½ teaspoon kosher salt, and ¼ teaspoon black pepper. Divide the salad between 2 containers and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
Serves 2. Each serving contains Calories 511, Fat 17g, Carbohydrates 69 g, Protein 20 g, Fiber 11 g, Sodium 785 mg.
Lemon Garlic Green Beans
- 2 pounds green beans, ends trimmed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Blanch green beans in a large stockpot of well-salted boiling water until bright green in color and tender crisp, roughly 2 minutes. Drain and shock in a bowl of ice water to stop from cooking.
- Heat a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Add the oil and the butter. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the beans and continue to sauté until coated in the butter and heated through, about 5 minutes. Add lemon zest and season with salt and pepper.
Serves 6. Each serving contains Calories 122, Fat 9 g, Carbohydrates 11 g, Protein 3 g, Fiber 4 g, Sodium 126 mg.
Balsamic Green Beans
- 1 lb. green beans
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Place green beans in a microwave-safe dish with the butter. Cover and cook on high for five minutes. Add vinegar and Parmesan cheese. Cook on high five more minutes (covered).
- Stir to make sure the beans are well coated with the vinegar mixture.
- Serve and enjoy!
- These would work well with fresh green beans too. You would just need to adjust the cooking time.
- Ingredient amounts can be adjusted to suit your taste. I will sometimes increase the Parmesan cheese and use 2 tablespoons of butter.
Serves 4-6. Each serving contains Calories 88, Fat 5 g, Carbohydrates 8 g, Protein 5 g, Fiber 4 g, Sodium 123 mg.
Greek Style Green Beans
- 16 ounces green beans
- 1(14½ ounce) can of diced Italian tomatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup fine chopped onions
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1⁄4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Cook your green beans fresh or frozen. Heat the olive oil in a saucepan, add the onions. Cook until soft about 5 minutes on low.
- Add everything but feta. Simmer on low until hot. Add feta.