Celebrate the Fourth of July!!
The Fourth of July is a great Holiday to celebrate our Nations Birthday with family and friends. Showcase and celebrate your American Pride with these healthy festive recipes!!
Siracha Glazed Chicken Skewers with Peaches
- 8-16 bamboo skewers (You may want to use 2 per skewer for extra stability.)
- 1½ tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 lime, juiced and zested
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha (plus more for serving)
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1½ pounds total)
- 2 peaches cut into 16ths
- 24 fresh basil leaves
- Start by soaking the bamboo skewers in a shallow dish filled with water for 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, lime juice and zest, honey, and Sriracha. Briefly set aside.
- Slice your chicken breasts into approximately 1-inch chunks. Place them in a large Ziploc bag and pour the marinade over them. Seal the bag, removing as much air as possible, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or longer, the longer the better.
- Slice your peaches into 16ths. Just to break it down: Cut each peach in half (removing the pit, duh). Then slice each half into four segments. Slice each of those four segments in half.
- Once the chicken is marinated, it’s time to assemble the skewers. Thread a piece of chicken, followed by a basil leaf, and a peach segment onto a soaked bamboo skewer. (Fold large basil leaves in half before threading them onto the skewers.) Repeat this pattern about 3 times per skewer. You should be able to get 4 pieces of chicken, 3 peaches, and 3 leaves of basil on each skewer.
- Heat a clean, oiled grill or grill pan over medium heat. When hot add the skewers and cook, rotating occasionally until the chicken is cooked through, about 12-15 minutes. Serve immediately with extra Sriracha.
Tiger Sauce Texas Caviar
- 1 can black eyed peas, drained
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 2 cans shoe peg corn (I use fresh when I have it)
- 1 green pepper, cut in small pieces
- ½ red onion, cut in small pieces
- ⅓ c. sugar
- ½ c. extra virgin olive oil
- ⅓ c. apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tbsp. Tiger Sauce (hot sauce)
- Combine black-eyed peas, black beans, shoepeg corn, green pepper and red onion in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix sugar, olive oil, apple cider vinegar & tiger sauce. Pour sauce over balance of ingredients and stir thoroughly.
- Let sit overnight in the refrigerator for best flavor. Serve with corn chips. (It’s also great on fish or chicken.)
Grilled Corn on the Cob with Lime Butter
- 12 ears fresh corn, unshucked
- ½ pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 limes, zest finely grated
- 1 bunch fresh chervil, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ pound queso fresco, finely grated
- ¼ cup Ancho Chile Rub, recipe follows, or cayenne pepper
For the Chile Rub:
- 3 ancho chiles, seeded and hand-torn into pieces
- ¼ cup chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Soak the corn in a large container of water for 1 hour. Prepare the grill. Put the soaked cobs on the hot grill and cook for 30 to 40 minutes, turning frequently. The corn is done when it feels soft when you press on it.
- While the corn is grilling make the lime butter: In a small bowl add the butter, lime zest, chervil, and salt and pepper, to taste. Mix well and spread onto a large plate. Spread the queso fresco onto another plate.
- Take the corn off the grill and carefully peel back the husks (it will be hot). Remove the corn silk and tie the husks in a knot so you can hold on to it like a handle. Roll in the lime butter and then roll in the queso fresco; sprinkle with the Ancho Chile Rub. Place on a large platter and serve immediately.
- For the spice rub: Toast the ancho chile pieces over low heat in a dry skillet until fragrant, shaking the pan so they don’t scorch. Put the chiles in spice grinder and pulse to a powder. Add the remaining ingredients and buzz again to combine.
Traditional Twist Deviled Eggs
- 12 large eggs
- ¼ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 tablespoon dill relish or sweet pickle relish
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon white-wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon paprika
- Place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook at the barest simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, pour out the hot water and cover the eggs with ice-cold water. Let stand until cool enough to handle.
- Peel the eggs and halve lengthwise with a sharp knife. Gently remove the yolks and place in a food processor. Add yogurt, mayonnaise, shallot, relish, mustard, vinegar, salt and pepper and process until smooth.
- Spoon about 1 tablespoon of the filling into each egg white half. Just before serving, sprinkle with paprika. Make Ahead Tip: Loosely cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
Serves 24. Each serving contains Calories 47, Fat 3g, Protein 3g, Carbohydrate 1g, Fiber 0g, Cholesterol 94mg, Sodium 83mg.
No Bake Flag Cake
- 7 ounces graham crackers, broken into large pieces
- ½ cup toasted pecans
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- 2 (8 ounce) packages reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- ⅔ cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1½ cups raspberries
- 1¼ cups blueberries and/or blackberries
- Pulse graham crackers, pecans, and salt in a food processor until finely ground. With the motor running, drizzle in oil, then pulse to combine. Press into a 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
- Add cream cheese, yogurt, confectioners’ sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice to the food processor. Puree until smooth, about 1 minute. Dollop the mixture over the crust, then gently spread into an even layer. Cover and refrigerate until cold, at least 2 hours and up to 1 day.
- To serve, arrange berries in a flag pattern on top of the cake and cut into 16 squares.
To make ahead: Refrigerate for up to 1 day.
Serves 16. Each serving contains Calories 234, Fat 14g, Protein 6g, Carbohydrate 20g, Fiber 2g, Cholesterol 8mg, Sodium 224mg.