Sweet Juicy Peaches
Savor sweet, juicy peaches this summer with some great recipes to showcase one of the southern favorite seasonal fruits. Peaches are a warm weather fruit and taste best June-August in parts of the South. These treats also pack a nutritional punch, in one medium peach there are only 60 calories and more than 20 different macro and micronutrients, including fiber, vitamins, A, C, E, potassium and zinc. And of course they are naturally free of fat, sodium, cholesterol, gluten and trans fats!!
When it comes to summer in the South, it is hard not to find someone enjoying a sweet, juicy peach. Whether sweet or savory, there are so many ways to enjoy the fruit of the summer. From the classics, to the unexpected, here are some ways to enjoy a peach for any craving!
No Bake Juicy Peach Pie
- ¾ cup graham cracker crumbs (about 5 cookie sheets)
- ¼ teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3½ ounces white chocolate, finely chopped
- Cooking spray
- 5 ounces ⅓-less-fat cream cheese, softened
- ⅓ cup powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups frozen fat-free whipped topping, thawed
- 2 tablespoons seedless peach spread
- 1 tablespoon peach schnapps
- ½ teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 3 medium peeled peaches, pitted and cut into ½-inch wedges
- Combine crumbs and ⅛ teaspoon salt in a food processor; process until combined. Place butter and chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH 30 seconds, stirring until chocolate is smooth. Add to processor; pulse until combined. Press mixture into bottom and up sides of a 9-inch pie plate coated with cooking spray. Freeze 20 minutes or until set.
- Place cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla in a medium bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Gently fold in whipped topping. Carefully spread filling over bottom of crust. Place fruit spread in a large microwave-safe bowl; microwave at HIGH 30 seconds or until bubbly. Stir in remaining ⅛ teaspoon salt, schnapps, and juice. Add peach wedges; toss to combine. Arrange the peach wedges over pie. Chill for 3 hours before serving.
Serves 10. Each serving contains Calories 195, Fat 8.3 g, Protein 3 g, Carbohydrate 27 g, Fiber 1 g, Cholesterol 16 mg, Sodium 155 mg.
BBQ Chicken with Peaches and Feta Slaw
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 3/8 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1½ cups sliced fresh peaches (about 2 medium)
- 1 (12-oz.) pkg. broccoli slaw
- 3 (6-oz.) skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut crosswise into 1-in. strips
- ¼ cup barbecue sauce
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1 ounce feta cheese, crumbled (about ¼ cup)
- 2 center-cut bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
- Combine 4 tablespoons oil, vinegar, ¼ teaspoon pepper, and ¼ teaspoon salt in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add peaches and slaw to vinegar mixture; toss gently to coat.
- Sprinkle chicken evenly with remaining ¼ teaspoon pepper and remaining ⅛ teaspoon salt. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken to pan; cook 6 minutes or until done. Place chicken in a large bowl. Add barbecue sauce to bowl; toss.
- Divide slaw mixture evenly among 4 plates; top evenly with chicken strips. Sprinkle with chives, feta, and bacon.
Serves 4. Each serving contains Calories 407, Fat 22.5 g, Protein 33 g, Carbohydrate 16 g, Fiber 3 g, Cholesterol 90 mg, Sodium 631 mg, Calcium 67 mg, Sugars 10 g.
Yummy Peach Bars
- 1 cup chopped nuts (walnuts, pecans, almonds or hazelnuts) or old-fashioned rolled oats, divided
- ¾ cup whole-wheat pastry flour (see Note)
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- ½teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 6 cups chopped peaches
- ½ cup orange juice
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- To prepare crust: Combine ¾ cup nuts (or oats), whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, sugar and salt in a food processor; pulse until the nuts are finely ground. Add butter; pulse until well incorporated.
- Whisk egg, oil, 1 teaspoon vanilla and almond extract in a small bowl. With the motor running, add the mixture to the food processor. Process, then pulse, scraping down the sides, if necessary, until the mixture begins to clump, 30 to 45 seconds (it will look crumbly). Measure out ½ cup of the mixture and combine in a bowl with the remaining ¼ cup chopped nuts (or oats). Set aside for the topping.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Generously coat a 9×13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- To prepare peach filling & assemble bars: Combine 4 cups chopped fruit, orange juice, sugar and cornstarch in a large saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture is very thick, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in the remaining 2 cups fruit and vanilla.
- Transfer the dough to the prepared baking dish. Spread evenly and press firmly into the bottom to form a crust. Spread the fruit filling over the crust. Sprinkle the reserved topping over the filling.
- Bake the bars for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F and bake until the crust and topping are lightly brown, 25 to 30 minutes more. Let cool completely before cutting into bars, at least 1½ hours.
Yields 18 bars. Each bar contains Calories 197, Fat 9 g, Cholesterol 19 mg, Carbohydrates 28 g, Protein 3 g, Fiber 1 g, Sodium 69 mg.
- ½ cup low-fat granola without raisins
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 large peaches, pitted and sliced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup vanilla low-fat frozen yogurt
- Preheat broiler to high. Place granola on a jelly-roll pan, spreading evenly. Broil 2 minutes, stirring after 1 minute.
- Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add peaches to pan; cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add sugar and cinnamon to pan; cook 1 minute or until sugar melts, stirring occasionally. Spoon about ⅔ cup peach mixture in each of 4 shallow bowls. Top each serving with 2 tablespoons granola and ¼ cup yogurt.
Serves 4. Each serving contains Calories 284, Fat 9 g, Protein 6.9 g, Carbohydrate 46.8 g, Fiber 3.1 g, Cholesterol 48 mg, Sodium 57 mg.