Happy Holiday Breakfast!
One of the greatest things about holiday vacation is that you don’t have to grab your breakfast on a mad rush out the door at 6 a.m. There is a little more time to enjoy a tasty breakfast while spending time with family and friends. Here are some yummy breakfast recipes (some healthier than others) that will make enough for you to share! Enjoy and Happy Holiday Breakfast!
Eggs, Spinach and Hash Brown Christmas Bake
- 8 center-cut bacon slices
- 1½ cups chopped onion
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups shredded hash brown potatoes
- ¼ cup no-salt-added chicken stock
- 5 cups fresh baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 3 ounces reduced-fat Swiss cheese, finely chopped
- Cooking spray
- ½ cup 1% low-fat milk
- 6 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan; crumble. Increase heat to medium-high. Add onion, mushrooms, and garlic to drippings in pan; sauté for 6 minutes. Add potatoes and stock; cook 6 minutes, stirring frequently. Add spinach, basil, ¼ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper; cook 2 minutes or until spinach wilts. Remove from heat; let stand 10 minutes. Stir in crumbled bacon and cheese. Place mushroom mixture in an 11 x 7-inch broiler-safe glass or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Uncover dish. Combine remaining ¼ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper, milk, and eggs in a medium bowl. Pour egg mixture over mushroom mixture. Bake at 350° for 28 minutes.
- Preheat broiler to high; remove dish while broiler preheats. Broil 3 minutes or until top is browned and just set. Let stand 5 minutes.
Banana Bread Pudding
- 8 slices Cinnamon Swirl Bread, cut into cubes (about 5 cups) (Like Pepperidge Farm)
- 2 large bananas, cut into ¼-inch thick slices
- ¾ cup semi-sweet chocolate pieces
- 1½ cups heavy cream
- 3 eggs
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Heat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 1½-quart baking dish.
- Place the bread cubes, bananas and chocolate pieces into the baking dish. Beat the heavy cream, eggs, brown sugar and vanilla extract in a medium bowl with a fork or whisk. Pour the cream mixture over the bread mixture. Stir and press the bread mixture into the cream mixture to coat.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
Baked Cheese Grits
(This one is always a favorite)
- 2⅔ cups water
- ⅔ cup quick-cooking grits
- 2 tablespoons light margarine
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ (8-ounce) package light pasteurized prepared cheese loaf, cut into ½-inch pieces
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground red pepper
- Vegetable cooking spray
- Bring 2⅔ cups water to a boil; add grits, and cook, stirring often, 5 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat. Add margarine and next 4 ingredients, stirring until blended. Spoon mixture into a 2-quart baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350°F for 40 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Casserole may be chilled up to 8 hours. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes; bake as directed.
Yields 3 ½ cups.
Lemon Cream Glazed Blueberry Muffins
- 3½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1½ cups milk
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
Lemon Cream Cheese Glaze
- 1 (3-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cups sifted powdered sugar
For the muffins:
- Preheat oven to 450ºF. Stir together first 4 ingredients. Whisk together eggs and next 2 ingredients; add to flour mixture, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Toss blueberries with 1 tablespoon flour, and gently fold into batter. Spoon mixture into 1½ lightly greased 12-cup muffin pans, filling three-fourths full.
- Bake at 450ºF for 14 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned and a wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean. Immediately remove from pans to wire racks, and let cool 10 minutes.
For the Lemon-Cream Cheese Glaze:
- Beat cream cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Add lemon zest and next 2 ingredients; beat until smooth. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating until smooth. Drizzle over the muffins.
Yields 1½ dozen.
Apple Bacon Pancakes with Cider Syrup
- ½ cup apple cider
- 3 tablespoons packed light brown sugar, divided
- 1½ teaspoons lemon juice
- 1½ teaspoons cornstarch
- ½ cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- ½ cup nonfat buttermilk
- 1 medium apple, peeled and finely diced, (about 1 cup)
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 teaspoon canola oil, divided
- Combine cider, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, lemon juice and cornstarch in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking, and cook until thickened, 1 to 2 minutes. Set aside.
- Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and the remaining 1 tablespoon brown sugar in a small bowl. Whisk egg, egg white and buttermilk in a large bowl. Stir in the dry ingredients, apples and bacon until just combined. (The batter will be thick.)
- Brush a large nonstick skillet with ½ teaspoon oil and place over medium heat until hot. Cooking 4 at a time, use about ¼ cup batter for each pancake and gently spread it to make them about 3 inches in diameter. Cook until the edges are dry and bubbles begin to form, about 2 minutes. Flip the pancakes and cook until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes more. Repeat with the remaining oil and batter, reducing the heat as necessary to prevent burning. Reheat the cider syrup, if desired, and serve with the pancakes.
Serves 4. Each serving contains: 256 calories, 6 g fat, 63 mg cholesterol, 40 g carbohydrates, 9 g protein, 2 g fiber, 465 mg sodium, 165 mg potassium, 6 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono).