Wake Up Your Watermelon!
There’s nothing better than biting into a juicy piece of fresh watermelon on a hot, summer day. Not to mention that watermelon has fewer than 50 calories per cup and is full of healthy nutrients like potassium and vitamin A, making it an excellent food for a healthy diet.
The mildly sweet flavor of watermelon is a great addition to recipes such as watermelon salad, watermelon drinks, and watermelon salsa. Enjoy a juicy taste of summer with these healthy watermelon recipes.
- ½ cup chopped red onion
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice (about 2 limes)
- 4 cups cubed seeded watermelon
- ¼ cup pitted kalamata olives
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh mint
- ½ cup (2 ounces) feta cheese, crumbled
- Combine onion and juice in a medium bowl; let stand 10 minutes. Add watermelon, olives, parsley, and mint. Cover and chill 1 hour. Sprinkle with cheese.
Serves 12. Each serving contains Calories 46, Fat 2.4 g, Protein 1.2 g, Carbohydrate 5.5 g, Fiber 0.5 g, Cholesterol 4 mg, Sodium 136 mg.
Fish Tacos with Watermelon Salsa
- 4 cups diced seedless watermelon
- ½ small red onion, finely diced
- ½ cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro
- Juice of 2 limes, plus lime wedges for serving
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- Kosher salt
- 1 pound skinless wild striped bass fillets
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- Make the watermelon salsa: Combine the watermelon, red onion, cilantro, lime juice and jalapeno in a bowl. Toss with 1 tablespoon olive oil and ½ teaspoon salt and set aside.
- Preheat a grill to high. Sprinkle the fish on both sides with the chile powder and ½ teaspoon salt; drizzle both sides with the remaining 2 teaspoons olive oil. Brush the grill with olive oil, then add the fish and grill until marked and cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer the fish to a plate and break into bite-size pieces.
- Meanwhile, toss the lettuce with 2 tablespoons of the juices from the watermelon salsa and a pinch of salt. Warm the tortillas on the grill and fill with the fish, watermelon salsa, avocado and lettuce. Serve with lime wedges.
Grilled Tuna with Sweet and Heat Salsa
- 2 5 ounces fresh or frozen tuna steaks, cut ¾- to 1-inch thick
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds or ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon finely shredded lime peel
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup chopped seeded watermelon
- ½ cup chopped yellow or orange sweet pepper
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons snipped fresh mint
- Lime wedges (optional)
- Thaw fish, if frozen. Rinse fish; pat dry with paper towels. Place fish in a large resealable plastic bag set in a shallow dish. Set aside. If using cumin seeds, in a small dry skillet, heat cumin seeds over medium heat for 1 to 2 minutes or until aromatic, shaking skillet occasionally. Crush cumin seeds in a mortar and pestle.
- In a small bowl, combine crushed cumin seeds or ground cumin, the lime peel, lime juice, oil, ⅛ teaspoon of the crushed red pepper, and the salt. Pour over fish in bag; turn to coat fish. Seal bag. Marinate in the refrigerator for 30 to 60 minutes, turning bag occasionally.
- In a small bowl, combine watermelon, sweet pepper, green onion, mint, and the remaining ⅛ teaspoon crushed red pepper. Set aside.
- Drain fish, discarding marinade. For a charcoal grill, grill fish on the greased rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals for 6 to 10 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork, gently turning once halfway through grilling. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place fish on greased grill rack over heat. Cover and grill as above.) Serve fish topped with watermelon mixture. If desired, serve with lime wedges.
Makes 2 servings (1 tuna steak and 2/3 cup salsa each).
Serves 2. Each serving Calories 252, Fat 8 g, Cholesterol 63 mg, Sodium 202 mg, Carbohydrates 9 g, Fiber 2 g, Sugar 6 g, Protein 34 g.
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 cups seeded watermelon cubes
- 2 cups fresh berries (raspberries, strawberries, and/or blueberries)
- Snipped fresh lemon balm
- Fresh lemon balm sprigs
- Fresh raspberries and/or blueberries (optional)
- In a medium saucepan combine water and sugar; bring to boiling, stirring frequently. Boil gently, uncovered, for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Place the watermelon and berries in a blender or large food processor; cover and blend or process for 30 seconds. Add the warm syrup and blend until almost smooth. Transfer the mixture to a 3-quart rectangular baking dish or a 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Place in the freezer, uncovered, for 1½ hours or until almost solid.
- Remove sorbet from freezer. Using a fork, break up the frozen fruit into a somewhat smooth mixture. Stir in snipped lemon balm. Freeze 1 hour or more. Break up the ice with a fork and serve in shallow bowls. Top with lemon balm sprigs and a few blueberries and/or raspberries.
- If mixture is frozen longer than the final hour, let it stand at room temperature about 20 minutes before breaking up mixture with a fork and serving.
Serves 6. Each serving contains Calories 98, Fat 0 g, Cholesterol 0 g, Sodium 2 mg, Carbohydrates 24 g, Fiber 3 g, Sugar 24 g, Protein 1 g.
- 8 cups finely diced seedless watermelon, (about 6 pounds with the rind) (see Tip)
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and finely diced
- ½ red bell pepper, finely diced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- ¼ cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 3 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced shallot
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- Mix watermelon, cucumber, bell pepper, basil, parsley, vinegar, shallot, oil and salt in a large bowl.
- Puree 3 cups of the mixture in a blender or food processor to the desired smoothness; transfer to another large bowl. Puree another 3 cups and add to the bowl. Stir in the remaining diced mixture.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Serves 6. Each serving contains Calories 116, Fat 5 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Carbohydrates 18 g, Added Sugars 0 g, Protein 2 g, Fiber 2 g, Sodium 296 mg, Potassium 345 mg.