Strawberries, the Sweetest Treats!
The strawberries are finally here, the first real tasty sign of spring, and aren’t we ready?? The juicy red berries hold the title of the most popular berry in the world. They are also quite versatile; you can enjoy them straight out of the patch, or in strawberry shortcake, strawberry pie, strawberry jam, and so much more. With high levels of heart-protecting nutrients and 3 grams of fiber per serving, your body will enjoy these strawberry recipes as much as your taste buds do!
While we all love traditional treats like strawberry shortcake and strawberry pie, here are some ways that you may not have enjoyed them yet.
Spicy Cumin Chicken with Strawberry Sauce
- 2 cups strawberries, rinsed and sliced
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onions (about 2 onions)
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 pinch sugar
- 4 each skinless, boneless chicken breasts (about 1¼ pounds)
- ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ teaspoons ground coriander
- ½ teaspoons dried oregano
- ½ teaspoons salt
- ⅛ to ¼ teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoons butter
- Heat butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken seasoned side down. Sprinkle remaining seasoning evenly over chicken. ¾Cook 4 to 5 minutes per side or until internal temperature is 170°F. Place chicken on serving plates and spoon 1 to 2 tablespoons sauce over each breast.
- Combine strawberries, green onion, cilantro and sugar in a blender or food processor. Pulse briefly to make a slightly chunky sauce. Set aside at room temperature until ready to serve.
- Flatten chicken to ¾-inch thickness, using palm of hand or a meat mallet.
- Combine coriander, cumin, oregano, salt and cayenne in a small cup or bowl. Sprinkle half spice mixture over one side of chicken breasts.
Serves 4, each serving contains Calories 202, Fat 4 g, Cholesterol 89 mg, Sodium 404 mg, Carbohydrates 5 g, Fiber 1 g, Protein 33 g.
Strawberry Avocado Salsa
Serve this sweet and savory salsa with roast chicken, sautéed fish, or grilled pork tenderloin. You can also enjoy it as a snack with baked tortilla chips.
- 1 cup finely chopped strawberries
- ¼ cup finely chopped peeled avocado
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ teaspoon grated lime rind
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped seeded jalapeño pepper
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl; toss gently. Serve immediately.
Serves 4, each ¼ cup serving containsCalories 34, Fat 1.6 g, Protein 0.6 g, Carbohydrate 5.4 g, Fiber 1.5 g, Cholesterol 0.0 mg, Sodium 2 mg, Calcium 11 mg.
Strawberries in Meyer Lemon Syrup
Last year I got a real deal on a sun damaged Meyer Lemon and managed to revive it enough to try this recipe and a Meyer Lemon Cheesecake one too!
- 4 cups quartered small strawberries
- ¼ cup fresh Meyer lemon juice
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup whipping cream
- Place berries, juice, and sugar in a large bowl; toss gently to coat. Cover and chill 20 minutes.
- Place cream in a medium bowl; stir constantly with a whisk until soft peaks form. Serve whipped cream with berry mixture.
Serves 4, each serving consists of 1 cup berry mixture and 2 tablespoons whipped cream and contains Calories 157, Fat 6 g, Protein 1.5 g, Carbohydrate 27 g, Fiber 3.4 g, Cholesterol 20 mg, Sodium 7 mg, Calcium 37 mg.
Strawberry Banana Split Salad
(This recipe is one of mine I adapted, it is not low fat, but is always very well liked when I share)
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (12-ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 (21-ounce) can cherry pie filling
- 3 medium bananas, sliced
- 1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
- ½ cup chopped nuts
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- Garnish: chopped pecans, shredded coconut, sliced strawberry
- In a large bowl, combine milk and whipped topping until well blended. Fold in next 6 ingredients, and chill until ready to serve. Garnish with pecans, and strawberries, if desired.
Spiked Strawberry Lime Ice-Cream Pie
(Adults Only, Kid Friendly Version Included)
- 4 cups pretzel twists
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 (½-gallon) container premium strawberry ice cream
- 1 (16-ounce) container fresh strawberries (1 quart), stemmed
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 (6-ounce) can frozen limeade concentrate, partially thawed
- ½ cup tequila
- ¼ cup orange liqueur
- Garnishes: lime rind curls, fresh whole strawberries, pretzels
- Process first 3 ingredients in a food processor until pretzels are finely crushed. Firmly press mixture onto bottom of a lightly greased 10-inch spring form pan.
- Bake at 350° for 10 minutes. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- Let strawberry ice cream stand at room temperature 20 minutes or until slightly softened.
- Process strawberries and powdered sugar in food processor until pureed, stopping to scrape down sides.
- Place ice cream in a large bowl; cut into large (3-inch) pieces. Fold strawberry mixture, limeade concentrate, tequila, and orange liqueur into ice cream until well blended. Spoon mixture into prepared crust in spring form pan. Freeze 3 hours or until firm. Let stand 10 minutes at room temperature before serving. Garnish, if desired. Yields 10-12 servings.
Kid Friendly Strawberry-Lime Ice-Cream Pie: Omit tequila and orange liqueur, and add 1 (6-ounce) can frozen orange juice concentrate, partially thawed. Proceed with recipe as directed. Let stand 15 minutes at room temperature before serving. Garnish, if desired.
Strawberry Pretzel Crostini
This is a great appetizer.
- 2 cups finely chopped strawberries
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons minced shallot
- Pinch of pepper
- 1 (3-oz.) package cream cheese, softened
- 36 pretzel crackers
- Stir together strawberries, basil, brown sugar, shallot, and pepper. Spread softened cream cheese onto pretzel crackers. Top with strawberry mixture.
Strawberries and Cream Baked Oatmeal
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- ⅓ cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 Large egg
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1½ cups sliced hulled strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8 x 8-inch baking pan and set aside.
- Stir together oats, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl.
- Whisk together heavy cream, egg, butter and vanilla in a separate bowl. Pour heavy cream mixture over oat mixture and stir until combined. Add 1 cup sliced strawberries.
- Pour into prepared baking dish. Gently pound baking dish on the countertop to make sure cream moves through oats. Scatter remaining strawberries over top of the oatmeal.
- Bake 40 minutes, or until top is golden brown and oat mixture has set. Remove from oven and let cool 5 minutes. Serve warm. Serve 6.